- When filing for divorce in the state of Alabama, one party must be a resident of the state for at least 6 months.
- physically and incurably incapacitated at time of marriage;
- voluntary abandonment for one year;
- imprisonment in penitentiary – sentence for 7 years after 2 years is served;
- commit crime against nature;
- addicted to alcohol or drugs;
- confined in mental hospital for 5 years and declared incurably insane;
- irretrievable breakdown of marriage;
- when wife is pregnant at the marriage without the husband’s knowledge or agency;
- actual violence or reasonable apprehension of actual violence
- two years separation without support.
- Custody is determined according to the best interests of the child.
- Absent special circumstances, the Alabama child support guidelines apply in most cases. Both parties gross income and other child related expenses are taken into consideration in the child support calculation.