- When filing for divorce in the state of Alabama, one party must be a resident of the state for at least 6 months.
- physically and incurably incapacitated at time of marriage;
- voluntary abandonment for one year;
- imprisonment in penitentiary – sentence for 7 years after 2 years is served;
- commit crime against nature;
- addicted to alcohol or drugs;
- confined in mental hospital for 5 years and declared incurably insane;
- irretrievable breakdown of marriage;
- when wife is pregnant at the marriage without the husband’s knowledge or agency;
- actual violence or reasonable apprehension of actual violence;
- two years separation without support.
- Custody is determined according to the best interests of the child.
- Absent special circumstances, the Alabama child support guidelines apply in virtually every case. Both parties’ gross income and other child related expenses are taken into consideration in the child support calculation.